Donate me some kofi?

Chapter 5 (Part 3)

For the therapeutic nanomachines to function properly, they couldn't use medication. Typically, one would need to tie Seol down and wait for the drug to wear off, but Jean couldn't bear to treat her that way.

Jean and Leon took her home.

They took turns comforting her during her seizures, spending day and night for a week by her side. Leon felt even more guilt than Jean did.

He blamed himself for missing the opportunity to catch Lieutenant Pantin.

"If I had tracked him down properly, Seol wouldn't have ended up like this," Leon said, clinging to Seol as if he were punishing himself. Jean had to forcefully calm him down.

'If he had resisted a little more, I would have knocked him out!'

Jean thought this and smiled at Seol. Seol placed the soup bowl on the coffee table and stretched out her arms to hug him. To make her more comfortable, Jean gently held her and half-laid her down.

Seol leaned against Jean as if laying on a long pillow, burying her face in his chest.

"What about Lieutenant Pantin? And those people?"

Jean raised his eyebrows and slowly stroked her back as he answered.

"Pantin and Roadbat were arrested for treason. It seems they were embezzling military funds together. They were worried you might track them down, so they cleverly manipulated A. A  to further embezzle the funds."

"I see."

A murmured response escaped her lips.

"The captured A. A  was also sent to prison."

Jean didn't mention that most of them had died. The one who survived, with missing limbs, would likely face a challenging prison life.

"It's regrettable not seeing the peace agreement."

"I'm tired of the agreement."

Seol softly laughed at Jean's words. Seeing her smile, Jean felt a wave of relief. Some people suffer irreversible wounds through torture. 

The common saying goes, 'The person I knew is already dead. They've become someone else.' But Seol was still smiling and talking.

Suddenly, Seol raised her head and asked,

"Is it really okay for both of you to be so free?"

"We took a month's leave."

"I see."

Seol nodded and nestled her head back into Jean's embrace. After eating enough, sleepiness returns. She felt like she had slept enough, so why was she still tired?

Seol's ears perked up. The sound of Jean's heartbeat was comforting.

Thump, thump, thump.

Listening to the rhythmic sound as a lullaby, Seol soon drifted off to sleep.

---

Someone was touching her.

But it wasn't frightening. The touch was gentle.

Seol opened her eyes slightly.

"Leon...?"

Hearing her murmur, Leon quickly withdrew his hand in surprise.

"Are you awake? Sorry, you can go back to sleep."

Seol wanted to whine and ask him to touch her hair more. She reached out and grabbed Leon's arm.

"Seol?"

Seol made him touch her head.

"You want me to touch you?"

His voice was flustered, but Seol rubbed her head against his hand roughly. Soon, Leon began to stroke her hair.

Seol asked, drowsy.

"Leon."

"Hm?"

"Do you hate me now?"

"What?"

"Because of what happened... Do you hate me...?"

Her voice gradually decreased, and the last word was unintelligible unless he concentrated. But Leon understood what she said.

"That's impossible."

Leon, who was flustered, said shortly but firmly. Seol closed her eyes tightly.

"Then, then why would you break up with me...?"

"Break up?"

"Jean said-"

As she sobbed, Leon lay down next to her, not knowing what to do. He whispered.

"That's not it-" Leon bit his lip.

"It's all my fault that you went through that."

Seol opened her eyes wide in surprise. Leon carefully wiped under her eyes, which were wet with tears.

"At that time, I didn't go to that bait location like you know, Seol. I was just going to check the scene for any possible traitors. So I chased after Pantin when he kidnapped you. But I missed you."

It was hard to say. What if Seol criticized him?

It was hard to confess his failure in front of the person who was proud of being part of the Alpha Team.

"If I had been more alert, it wouldn't have happened. So it's you who should be criticizing me and breaking up with me."

Seol stared at him without answering. Leon avoided her gaze because it was painful. He slowly got up and said.

"I'll call Jean."

Seol grabbed his sleeve. Leon looked back at her in surprise and then lowered his eyes and thought.

Yes, he can't escape. He needs to hear her criticizing words.

"Leon is an idiot. I'm part of the Alpha Team."

Leon was puzzled.

"I know......?"

"Since we're a team, there's no teammate who will criticize Leon's mistakes or mine, something like that, right? And you came to rescue me properly. Thank you for coming before I suffered something more terrible. Rather, I admire Leon's ability to find me again after losing me in the middle."

Leon lay down beside her in silence.

"Seol is too soft."

"I'm not soft."

Seol said firmly. Everyone makes mistakes. Is there a rule that an Alpha Team member can't make mistakes?

That's why they are a team.

"Instead, I'll comfort you when you cry, and I'll wake you up when you have a bad dream-"

"That's my job, actually."

Leon pulled her and hugged her. Seol hugged him back. Leon spoke softly.

"Did you see the photos at my house before?"

"Yes."

"My sister died in a terrorist attack."

Seol tightened her grip on him. Leon spoke slowly.

"But I couldn't protect Seol properly either, so I'm so sorry-"

"I'm not someone who needs Leon's protection, and I'm not your sister either."

"Yeah."

Leon replied and laughed softly. Seol closed her eyes.

"Go to sleep soon."

At her words, Leon replied, "Hmm..." sheepishly. And for the first time in a long time, Leon fell asleep soundly.


-----

PREVIOUS CHAPTER/NEXT CHAPTER

Comments